Sunday, February 28, 2010

I disagree with Seth Godin about Genius and Lizard Brain

I'd like to disagree with this statement by Seth Godin in yesterday's blog:

When the lizard brain kicks in and the resistance slows you down, the only correct response is to push back again and again and again with one failure after another. Sooner or later, the lizard will get bored and give up.


Much as I love Seth Godin, and have for many years, I think he's got this one wrong. There's no point and a lot of wasted effort in pushing back at what you call Lizard Brain. Save the calories and let the synapses rest. We're programmed to crash after a high as a way of keeping us out of danger and letting us build up some energy.

Here's what I have concluded over my years of thinking on this subject:

Excitement (caused by inspiration) is half fear and half joy. An idea hits you like lightning. It's fabulous. (I do believe it's definitely, by any definition, a flash of genius, but it's available to everyone.)

First you get high on the joy, then, when you get too high for safety (according to your survival mechanism) and you crash. Then you usually give up. I agree you shouldn't give up, but I see the process and the solution differently.

I see excitement as having 3 stages and no one seems to mention the third. (It's not a return to the excitement.)

Phase One: you're on a real high and when you're high, it's like being in love. When you're in love, you're a genius. You can see, hear, smell, understand what no one else can. That's why no one else understands that your newborn baby the most beautiful baby that has ever existed. You're not crazy. You can actually see details that they miss. And, because you're not in love with their babies, they look ordinary to you. Nature is no fool. She's got survival down pat.

In Phase One I advise all my readers/listeners/audiences to write down each and every detail, not in notes, diagrams or outlines, but in English, in long declarative sentences that explain how you came to each conclusion. You'll need to understand them later.

Phase Two: You got too high. Fear trumps Joy. Your primitive survival mechanisms respond to fear with a great mechanism designed to make you safe: a micro-depression.

You experience it as a crash. And when you crash, you have all the attendant frills of any 'real' depression: you lose energy, you lose interest, and you no longer calculate in action terms, or in the present at all. You feel all knowing about the past and the future. You feel old and wise and start to speak in terms like 'never,' 'always,' and 'how could I have been so blind?' 'It has always been so. It will ever be so. Those who hope are fools." Etc.

That's what some call Lizard Brain. That's where some say you must make yourself become positive again. I strongly advise against that. Fighting nature isn't smart. You, Seth Godin, thankfully, don't ask us to try to rearrange our brains and force positive thoughts.

But you do say to battle this phase. And that's where we disagree again, and most importantly.

At Phase Two of excitement, the crash, I advise everyone to give in. Relax. You feel stupid? Call yourself stupid and despise happy, excited people for not realizing that life sucks. Lay about watching disgusting TV shows and eating crackers in bed. Bathe less.

When you've gotten bored with Phase Two you will move into the most important phase of all. When your energy begins to build up a little, self pity, though enjoyable at first, becomes tiresome. That's when you get up and take a shower, and, if you're like most of us, you try to maintain the micro-depression brand of wisdom so you'll stop getting excited about things.

Fortunately, that never works, but what usually happens instead is that you wait until you get excited about another idea and go through the process over again.

But you're not finished with the genius idea you had in Phase One. Starting to feel normal is actually part of the process:

Phase Three You've gone through two of the three phases of excitement and now it pays off. You hit pay dirt. Phase Three is where you lay out a plan and roll up your sleeves -- without the high, without the crash, but with the clarity and steady energy that makes things happen.

You won't have that energy unless you collapsed when you were supposed to.

Now you can dig up those carefully written, completely understandable notes you wrote in Phase One and read them in sober daylight, without a negative bias, without heart-banging excitement.

Because Phase Three is where all the work actually gets done. It's always been like that: slow and steady. The Genius is gone. the Hopeless One has recovered, and the Intelligent Hard Worker has returned.

And you'll get there sooner if you value the first fabulous insights (aka 'genius insight,' 'inspiration') enough to properly record them and you don't wear yourself out battling Lizard Brain.

My two cents.

15 comments:

  1. Why does this remind me of being bi-polar and ADD combined? I'm self-diagnosed as having a touch of both (or maybe a mega dose). And I admit, once I'm off the couch and in the shower, I'm taking another direction in 0 to 60. Since discovering I'm a scanner I've noticed I've been finishing more projects for some unexplained reason. I think I've finally forgiven myself for being so flaky. Or at least you've given me permission to.

    Or have I missed the point of your post all together and just enjoy the opportunity to communicate with you?

    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your timing is amazing. It describes my experience so clearly. All fired up after your workshop, then a big crash. Just emerging over the past week or so - and announced my intention on my blog mere minutes ago.

    And I think I prefer your explanation over my own - which amazingly enough is self-diagnosed pi-bolar - just like Inspired Creatives.

    Thanks for this, Barbara. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "When you've gotten bored with Phase Two you will move into the most important phase of all. When your energy begins to build up a little, self pity, though enjoyable at first, becomes tiresome. That's when you get up and take a shower, and, if you're like most of us, you try to maintain the micro-depression brand of wisdom so you'll stop getting excited about things."

    So, in fact, giving in to Lizard Brain and playing dead for a while is not only the best way to get around it, it's also the way of nature. Makes a lot of sense, Barbara. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is brilliance, pure brilliance. Thank you!

    I'm going to be much more diligent about recording all those beautiful ideas when they come next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these comments. I love knowing you'll save your beautiful ideas, Julie. Thank you MPearl for understanding that it's important to check out nature's solutions instead of just lowering your horns and fighting it. I'm delighted that you saw this just at the right time, dear Patty. And I love every word you said (no kidding), Inspired Creatives

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post, Barbara! Worth a lot more than two cents, I'd say. I, too, believe that there are a zillion ideas out there for the taking. Capturing that first burst of enthusiasm and flurry of energy is brilliant! It's where all the juicy stuff is. And, thank you for allowing me to crash and feel lousy for awhile, regaining my center. Phase 1 can be draining. I hear very little talk of that third phase. When I'm punching to get out, ready to do the work. Thank goodness I didn't leave the inspirations behind as I pushed through. Now I have it all! You have a way . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara... brilliant! Describes the creative cycle to a 'T'. Plus, I need that fallow down time for my unconsious, 'big', whatever you like to call it, mind to work on all the juicy ideas I had. So, when it comes to the last phase they've been marinaded enough for me to, as if by magic, refine them.

    I'm so with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm on a high right now after reading this! This makes so much sense. Now I understand why too many times, I've turned away from Phase 1 project and given up in Phase 2.

    I am going to write it all down and bring it out in Phase 3!

    Thank you for sharing your expertise with us.

    I am new to your blog and am enjoying it so much. I also follow you on Twitter. Lovely to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your comment, Sharon, and for the concepts of 'fallow,' (letting the earth rest and rejuvenate for a season before you plant the next crop) and marinade -- which made me laugh for some reason, but it's a good metaphor and adds another angle to the useful nature of the second, or 'crash' phase.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Marisa

    I love it when I get a response like yours because I know you see the process differently, and won't ever see it the old way again. That means you don't have to learn and re-learn it, you'll just know it's okay to crash, and part of the creative process.

    And that means you won't walk away from your great ideas next time.

    And that could be a world-changer.

    And I wouldn't stay awake nights thinking about all the really good ideas that were misunderstood and got dumped. Oy, I hate even saying it. So I'll read your comment again and forget that I did.

    :-)

    Lovely to meet you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Inspired Creatives

    I think the 3 stages of excitement I'm postulating (I'd better look up that word -- sometime soon) include the 2 familiar stages that seem a lot like A.D.D. (Oh, how exciting! Squirrel!!) and Bi-Polar Disorder (I'm a giant! I am mud.)

    I have the first, and a dear friend has the second, however, and they have characteristics of their own, quite separate from what I think is a normal, misunderstood cycle, and which includes stage 3:

    What I'm hoping is that lots people who think that this process is because of A.D.D. and/or Bi-polar Disorder, will realize that it isn't. It's not a disorder at all. It's a completely normal process. Because this means they're not helpless, they just need to understand what's going on so they can stop trashing their best ideas and start acting on more of them.

    I'm not surprised that you're finishing more things since discovering you're a Scanner. It might be the same thing as realizing that excitement has 3 stages instead of the two we're all familiar with. Once you know you're a Scanner you can see that you're not flaky. There's nothing wrong with you at all. Far from it. You're someone with a curious mind that loves to learn new things, and probably multi-talented.

    Just knowing that changes your viewpoint.

    In both cases your gifts aren't stuck in traffic jam: they go out to the world and can do a lot of good there, even if the experience is so sweet that it feels like you're doing them just for yourself.

    So, the answer to your question is, no, you haven't missed the point at all and I appreciate you bringing up this issue.

    But even if you had, I'd have still enjoyed this opportunity to communicate with you. :-)

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi MPearl

    Every time someone finds a new way to describe what I mean, it makes lightbulbs light up in my brain:

    "So, in fact, giving in to Lizard Brain and playing dead for a while is not only the best way to get around it, it's also the way of nature."

    Yes, playing dead is a great way to describe it. It serves the same purpose too: survival of what might well be a great idea. I love it.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard very little of that 3rd stage either, Alexandra. In fact I never heard anyone say it until I thought it through one day. It's based on my assumption that when everyone seems to have the same problem, there might a good reason for it.

    (As well as not enjoying having to force myself to do battle when I don't feel like it, which makes me double check to see if it's really necessary) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Barbara,
    I just love reading this blog. Your phase 3 analysis is so accurate. I first realized this phenomenon in 1994. In 1991-92, I found myself writing profusely. I put together entire coaching program concepts. It seemed as if the ideas were flowing from a well of pure genius. In 1995 when I moved back to California. I realized my new coaching model had been written in its entirety in 1991-92. I just picked it up dusted it off and implemented a successful coaching practice right away.


    This happened again in 2006-2007 I began to write new coaching programs for webinars and tele-classes. Now in 2011 I am ready to put these programs into a newer technology model and Soar!!!!! And just think, for a few years I thought I had lost interest. My cycles of creativity and implementation are uniquely my own.

    I so appreciate your spiritual courage to show up and give what you were gifted to bring to this world. Thank You. All the Best,Teri Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliantly put Barbara, and what I have discovered too. Going with the process is the feminine way, and certainly aligning with nature is. It makes it so much easier to enjoy each stage, and to produce the goods we are creating in the smoothest way possible. Lovely post. Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete