Wednesday, December 9, 2009

BLUES MUSICIAN & WHY I LOVE MY JOB

Just got a letter from someone I had a session with a number of years ago. He worked in the Post Office (which was safe, but boring) and he loved the blues. He played blues when he could, and I think he even had a student or two at the time, but his dream was to find and record the remaining blues musicians, legendary to those who were knowledgeable, in the deep south, and he had no idea how to do it. "I'm not a famous musician, I don't have any money, how could I get there, and why would any of them let me into their homes?"

A few months later he was in his car, his recording equipment in the trunk, heading for the homes of some elderly blues musicians. He had money for gas, sandwiches and batteries, nothing extra. But these elderly musicians could see he was sincere and welcomed him. He recorded them. There's a lot more to that story (and I'll invite him to tell us about it one of these days -- and correct my memory if I've erred -- I can't find him anywhere in the book he mentions) but that trip changed his life.

Today he wrote me some wonderful letters. I think you might want to read them if you've got voices (internal or external) telling you that your dream is impossible:

Hi Barbara,
I don't know if you remember me, but you mentioned a bit of my story in your book 'It's Only Too Late If You Don't Start Now.' I'm the mailman (well, I was) that taught blues guitar in a music store in my spare time.

Well, I'm very happy to say that it's been 5 years now since I left the Post Office and I am now living my life long dream of performing and teaching music full time... and quite successfully at that!

I want to thank you for your books, tapes and for meeting with me in your studio for a one on one session. It all helped tremendously.

Thanks again!!!

TW


Nice. So I answered:

On Dec 9, 2009, at 12:33 PM, Barbara Sher wrote:

Of course I remember you, Toby. This is wonderful news! Thank you for thinking of me. You've made me very happy.

Tell me more. What are you doing and where?



Barbara


And here's his answer:

Hi Barbara,

First off... I'm very happy and fulfilled. I got back 7 weeks ago from my 9th tour of the U.K where I have a load of fans. I also have a wonderful agent here in the U.S. (not very many people in the acoustic music business are lucky enough to have one) and she's a pleasure to work with. We've been together now for 4 years... she has over 24 years of experience in the business so I'm working fairly steady. I'm now based in Denviille NJ and gig along the eastern seaboard... from Maryland where my agent is based to Boston. Most of the places I now play are real nice listening rooms... concerts as opposed to bars. Sometimes the shows are held in theaters... other times in churches.

Schools are also wonderful places to perform in... I do a special show for 5th to 8th graders which encompasses how the blues reflected the Great Migration of African Americans in America. Believe it or not... Carnegie Hall contacted me one year and had me perform over 40 of these shows in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Westchester and Jersey City.

I have 9 CD's out now and I've been featured in all kinds of publications.. including the NY Times and the London Sunday Times... whoo boy!!!

I'm also teaching... I do that out of my home now but many times I give workshops on the road. For the last 5 years I've been very, very fortunate to have been teaching at quite a prestigious guitar camp in Ohio... the Fur Peace Ranch. It's run by the guitar player who used to be in the rock band Jefferson Airplane... Jorma Kaukonen. He's considered a real 'guitar god' among thousands of fans but it's kind of cool that he thinks I'm an incredible player as well.

I decided to leave the Post Office 5 years ago as I was earning more with music than with them. But the money wasn't the real issue. I needed to do something that spoke to me... I needed to honor my gift. Many, many times when I see a mail truck go by I remember how fortunate I am to have made that decision. My own mailman frequently laments how worse the job has gotten over the last few years. My goodness.

I'm also married... VERY happily to a wonderful woman named C. She just retired from teaching chorus in high school and she's a gifted musician... playing piano, harp, upright bass and mountain dulcimer. She says that she's always wanted a musician to travel with and we just couldn't be happier. She now is an accompanist to major choral group here in NJ... as well as doing work for plays and other productions in the area. Best of all, she loves helping me with all the paperwork (how lucky am I?) and loves going on the road with me. She's a fellow 'road warrior' and loves traveling as much as I do.

I've told her many times about how much you've inspired me and what kind of a woman you are. One of these days it would be great to have her meet you.

So, there you have it Barbara. Your words, in books, audio tapes and of course in person have helped me become the person I was meant to be. I really love you for it.


Always Lookin' Forward,
Toby Walker

http://www.littletobywalker.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/tobywalker123
http://www.myspace.com/tobyblues

United States and Canadian Representation:
McShane Glover, Noteworthy Productions, Annapolis, MD
410 268 8232
http://www.mcnote.com
email - mcshane@mcnote.com

U.K representation:
John Adams john.adams@mail.com
Basingstoke, England
Cell: 07702 554 989
Office: 01256 461 224

Radio Promotion:
Lisa Grey
Blue River Promotions
Tel: 914-762-2976
lgrey@optonline.net

Toby Walker uses:

Huss and Dalton Guitars - http://www.hussanddalton.com/
National Reso-Phonic Guitars - http://www.nationalguitars.com/
D'Addario Strings - http://www.daddario.com
Rocky Mountain Slides - http://www.rockymountainslides.com/
Ultrasound Amplifiers - http://www.ultrasoundamps.com/



'Nough said. I think you can see why I love my job. It's also why I'm giving a leg up to all my WriteSpeak students and grads (some of whom are already getting letters like this themselves!). When you love what you do, and when you can do some good in the world, you've got a pretty good life. And you're doing the right thing. Good feeling.

1 comment:

  1. We are USA direct importers of the worlds finest and most desired pianos. Our extensive collection of pre-owned Yamaha pianos is unmatched in quality and price. Find Yamaha's G-series, as well as C1, C2, C3, C5 and C7 pianos. Some of them are as young as 1 year used. These gorgeous baby grand's, and grand pianos, are from private homes and in most cases are the original first owners. These pianos are made by some of the world's finest piano crafter's.

    How to write your music business plan

    ReplyDelete